There is always so much to do with kids in Los Angeles, and at Fun With Kids in LA, we are dedicated to bring you the best of them. Our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles this weekend includes Downtown Dark Nights, Shakespeare in the Park, Dance DTLA, Family Movie Night, American Girl, Museum of Selfie, and much much more!
1. The Independent Shakespeare Co. presents Shakespeare in the Park at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park with free performances of Pericles Wednesday through Saturday and a performance of Twelfth Night on Sunday.
2. The Orange County Fair is this Friday through August 11th. You can enjoy live musical entertainment, shopping, exhibits, animals, rides, food, and more. Check the website for ticket information. (The Fair is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays).
3. Cinema Botanica: Movies in the Garden at Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden features a family friendly movie this Friday and every Friday in August. You will receive a field guide to plants you can spot in the movies and Garden staff will discuss the plants and landscape during intermission.
4. L.A. LIVE kicks off the Nike Basketball 3ON3 Tournament with Downtown Dark Nights this Friday from 6 p.m. till late. Take the whole family and enjoy a night full of music, art, live performances and much more! Enjoy $5 food and drink menus at participating restaurants. There will be a Nike 3on3 tip-off party on the Main Court with an opening ceremony and more!
6. Grand Central Market hosts Friday Night Flights. Hop on board every Friday starting at 12 PM and enjoy a special flight of drinks or bites plus a round trip ticket on the historic Angels Flight Railway for $15.
7. South Hills Burbank hosts a free family movie night this Friday. There will be family activities from 6-7pm and “Inside Out” will be shown indoors with free popcorn from 7-9pm.
8. The Wiggles are coming to the USA and this weekend, they will be at City National Grove of Anaheim! The Party Time Tour will feature Dorothy the Dinosaur, Captain Feathersword, Wags the Dog, Henry the Octopus and a brand-new Wiggly friend, Shirley Shawn the Unicorn! You can sing and dance along to all your favorite classic Wiggles songs as well as plenty of new favorites.
9. Westwood Village Cinema Under the Stars features Guardians of the Galaxy this Friday, August 2nd at 6:30 pm. This event is free and open to public. Bring your own chairs and blankets.
10. The City of Monterey Park hosts Summer Movies in the Park with free popcorn on August 2nd. This weekend movie is Captain Marvel at Barnes Park Amphitheater.
11. Think Tank Gallery presents Nothing Cheezy, a pizza themed pop-up. The experience takes you through the “cheesiest kitchen you’ve ever seen” and thirteen themed environments plus pizza of course.
12. At Kites for a Cause, you will learn how to make fabric art this summer in a series of fun pop-up workshops to protect LA rivers, beaches & wildlife! You will work with local artists to create fabric-based art (kites, wind sculpture, flags, etc) out of donated fabric, recycled and found objects after a flash clean-up of the LA-river. At Kites for Cause is happening this Saturday August 3rd.
13. As part of Beverly Hills BOLD Summer, city of Beverly Hills hosts an art walk this Saturday, August 3rd. Grab a seat on the Beverly Hills Trolley and visit some of the city’s art installations and renowned galleries. BOLD happens every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday throughout the month of August.
14. Circus Vargas is back with an all-new show. Jam-packed with aerial feats, acrobatics and clowning, not to mention a colorful cast of characters, world-class performers, singing, comedy and more, The Greatest of Ease has plenty of treasures for the whole family to enjoy. The show starts this Saturday, August 3rd.
15. This Saturday or Sunday, Submerge yourself in the Aquarium of the Pacific after hours, when darkness descends and the ocean’s most wondrous creatures begin their nocturnal activities. The entire aquarium will be open during this special after-hours entry time except for Lorikeet Forest, letting you experience the undersea realms of Long Beach and beyond in a whole new light.
16. At the Museum of Selfies in Hollywood, mind-blowing fully interactive exhibits will make you feel like an Instagram celebrity! Take a deep dive into the fascinating cultural phenomenon of the selfie — and, of course, snag a few awesome pics along the way with your kiddos.
17. Join American Girl for fun-filled Bingo Night with dinner in the Cafe and prizes galore on Saturday from 5:45 to 7:00 pm.
18. If your kids are a Hot wheel cars fan, then don’t miss the event as the Hot Wheels Garage features displays of life-size cars and numerous Hot Wheels tracks and cars to race with. In addition the fabulous car collection, kids can also get their face painted at the face painting corner, and enjoy balloon art from balloon artist available to entertain the kids.
19. Creature Camp Out program will be taking place from Saturday, August 3rd, 6:30 pm to Sunday, August 4th until 10:00 am at Los Angeles Zoo. Sleep in a tent under the stars and listen to the night-time sounds of the zoo. This outdoor experience includes guided evening and morning tours of the Zoo, interactive programs for young and old, a night-time snack, and live animal presentations.
20. This weekend, hundreds of magnetic fish will be released into the Conejo Creek North in Thousand Oaks for children to catch with magnetic poles! Kids can fill their pails with the fish and turn them in for prizes. Other activities include fish crafts and games, and Captain Carl’s Mobile Tide Pool! This event takes place this Saturday from 10:00 am - 1:00 pm.
21. The Hello Kitty Cafe Truck stops by The Citadel Outlets on August 4th from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. You can find the Hello Kitty Cafe Truck near the Food Court across from The Loft! Pick up some supercute treats & merch, while supplies last!
22. Disney’s The Little Mermaid Jr will be taking place at Pierson Playhouse Theatre in Palisades this Saturday. The Little Mermaid Jr is a 60-minute musical based on the 2008 Broadway production and the 1989 animated feature film. Tickets start at $17 per person.
23. Chuck E. Cheese’s is proud to support families who have children with special needs. They offer a sensory-friendly experience on the first Sunday of every month at participating locations, opening stores two hours before their normal opening time (9:00 am to 11:00 am). Their Sensory Sensory events include a trained and caring staff that work to ensure each guest has a fun-filled visit.
24. Jazz at the Bowers Festival at Bowers Museum is happending this Sunday August 4th from 11:00 am to 3:30 pm. This event features live performances as well as the opportunity for kids to make clay animals and their own wooden fans. This event is free and open to public.